Dunster Castle began as an 11th-century Anglo-Norman construction, on the site of an earlier fortification. The medieval stone buildings were constructed from the early 12th century into the early 16th century, until the fortification’s destruction in 1650, just after the English Civil War. A more modern manor house was built, starting in 1617, during the 17th and 18th centuries, then remodelled between 1868 and 1872, partly to be in keeping with mid-Victorian nostalgic architectural preferences. Today, the castle and its grounds are in the keeping of the National Trust, open to the public.
This picture was taken (with slide film) in part of the garden occupying the former Lower Ward, near one of the ruined medieval (13th-century?) castle towers.
By green voyage